Ilocos Day 2: Laoag + San Nicolas

by - January 28, 2012

[Disclaimer: The usual insomnia attack. Excited for new adventures. Thus, reminiscing the past craze. Second stop: Laoag + San Nicolas, Ilocos Norte.]

Sinking Bell Tower of Laoag

This will be the blabber for my second day of stay in Ilocos Norte, a tour on the first day of the month of August around some key places in the city of Laoag and San Nicolas with my dear “good” friend again (and would be the last for he had to go back to Manila for school, and as being a “good” friend to him in return, I’d been convincing him to cut classes. Haha.. I failed.)

I think my day started by eating horse meat again. Apparently, when my tita and tito received the news that I’d be staying with them for vacation, they prepared three kilos of horse meat just for me. They thought that I do not eat vegetables. I appreciated the fact that they took the time to consider my comfort with regards to food and loved that I was able to try eating horse meat, but to eat it everyday was a different story. Why do they have the notion that kids from Manila do not eat vegetables? Oh dear, I am one of those rare city kids who actually ENJOY eating vegetables, absolutely.

If I remember it correctly, my rendezvous time with Raymond was at around 10am in McDonalds. I had to ask my tito to give me a ride to the bayan since their place was a bit far from it, and yey, I got to pass by the view of rice fields again.

Our first destination was the Ilocos Norte Museum. On the way, Raymond had been pointing some key infrastructures, one of which was the sinking Bell Tower of Laoag. It indeed was going below the normal land point; Raymond showed me how the entrance had been slowly eaten up by the ground. I guess, in a matter of years, the entrance would completely be swallowed up.

We arrived at the museum. Raymond, being crafty, managed a way for both of us to pay the student discounted price for the entrance ticket. We used our old student IDs back in fourth year, though the only student left among the two of us was him.

The museum featured tools used for everyday household and community life in Ilocos Norte, some of which had been obsolete, others still being used at the present. There’s also a section that narrated the history of Ilocos. I enjoyed the house model inside; I got to see actual old model flat irons powered by hot coal; reminded me of the show Princess Sarah. There were also live bats inside.


This day was also allotted for FOOD TRIP. We took our first meal at a pizza/pasta resto called C&E, and we ate pizza. They had unique flavors; the usual ulam that one pairs with rice was a pizza topping. Raymond brought me next to a miki house. As he was sharing on the way how good their miki was, I was picturing the Ilocos miki to be like the ones we eat in Laguna, the crispy fried yellow ones. Apparently, it was a whole lot different of miki. It looks more like a lomi, but something that I’d definitely eat over a lomi. True enough, it did taste great.


Our next stop was the highest point in Laoag. I don’t really know what to call the place, but on top was a couple of big steel structures spelling out “L-A-O-A-G”. There was also sort of a sanctuary place on top; the landscape was great, a few white stone tables and benches and a wooden cross at the far end. The place was preserved for the ruin of the 28m cross built during the administration of Gov. Elizabeth Marcos-Keon to commemorate the 400-year anniversary of the Christianization of Ilocos. Sadly, it was weakened by an earthquake in 1983 and had completely fallen by a typhoon on the next year.

On top, we could see the whole view of the city and even the towering buildings from the next town, San Nicolas. After a while, it started raining. From that high point, we could clearly see the clouds pouring rain like a series of showers and running from San Nicolas towards Laoag. The scene was amazing; I was in awe of seeing a scientific process perform itself before me at eye level. Eventually, the hard rain reached our spot, and when I said hard rain, I meant, HARD rain. I got my chucks soaking wet, and it was the only day that I left my reserved pair of slippers. Why on earth did I leave them that day? O_O

We took a tricycle back to the bayan and munched on an empanada again. The empanada in Laoag and in Vigan were pretty much the same but Raymond was proud to say that their empanada in Laoag tasted better. Oh well, I just had to eat.

The best Raymond shot XD
After the rain had stopped, we made our way towards San Nicolas. We rode a jeepney going there and passed by the long bridge connecting the two towns. I asked for a key figure in the place and Raymond couldn’t think of one, except for a giant replica of a stone cooking pot situated in the middle of the road. Sabi niya “banga”. Sabi ko, “palayok”. Again, just like what used up most of our energy in Vigan, we made a series of jump shots in a park near the palayok figure. I love jump shots. Teehee. :)


Our last stop was Robinsons mall. Oh yeah. I couldn’t take the feeling of having my feet imprisoned in my soaked wet purple chucks, so the typical me took it off and walked barefoot inside the mall. Raymond also had his own funny blooper. I think we went inside Penshoppe and he started trying out some outfits for his creative shot for his grad pictorial, and left without buying.

It was time for us to part ways again. He had to go back to Manila that day in order to catch up on a test in school the following day. Oh, a “good” boy. XD I had my tito fetch me, and he arrived at around 4pm; time for me to put my wet chucks on and bid goodbye to Raymond.

It was a great second day.

You May Also Like